Did I ever tell you about a safety pin?
A lot of you probably didn’t use or never saw the original cloth diapers. When I was a baby and many others my age had mothers who used them. They were just a cotton cloth folded several times into a rectangle shape and required a large safety pin to get through all the fabric.
My mom used to take the dirty diaper, rush to the bathroom and put the dirty diaper in the commode, leaving the safety pin firmly stuck all the way in the mattress at the other end of the bed.
It must have been some time after I had learned to roll over that the shiny safety pin caught my eye and was I able to pull it out. Being a typical baby, everything goes into the mouth, so you can guess what happened. When mom got back, she discovered one of the pins missing and figured out that I had swallowed an open safety pin!
My parents rushed me over the University of Virginia. I think my mom told me I didn’t cry at all. Once the x-rays were done, they discovered in had gone down bottom first (the sharp end last). The doctors some how managed to go down my throat, close the pin and get it out with a magnet.
I still have the x-ray that shows three safety pins… two holding up the diaper and one inside me. Must have been soon after that someone invented the ones with the plastic safety cover on diaper pins.
I was extremely glad Pampers had been introduced when my children were born!
View More Monday Memories Participants
Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!